Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Stone paper




Today in class we spent quite some time on  glazing and on different surfaces.

I chose to work with a new surface. The exact name remains with my instructor, should have written it down, but it is actually  made of ground up stones. No trees were harvested. 

The "paper" is translucent and the paint drys very fast.
The fast drying was hard to get used to. It was completely different from
oil on canvas or gessoed board.

You have seen so many of my barns and in fact, this one many times.
But here a completely different result!

I am very satisfied with this one.

Now the next step is to mount it on a board or canvas for hanging.

Great day!

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, Helen. This is a new thing to me. How exciting that you were able to try it out! I like the textural effect you were able to get in your barn painting. I'm going to have to look it up! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the textural effect of your glazing on the building and grass. The beautiful color of the sky sets a distinctive mood which you captured perfectly.
    Is it oil or acrylic you are using on this special paper??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting Helen , I'm really curious as to know the name of that surface. Anyway I think you would succeed painting a barn on any surface lol, this one is great too !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like you have painted the exact thing I see, or want to see,when passing by a barn. The texture, color and big shape are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bold, beautiful piece, Helen!! I just love your experiment with this paper.

    ReplyDelete