Sunday, December 08, 2013

Last Winter Rose



We are in the midst of an unusual cold spell here in Northern California. We are only about an hour north of San Francisco and not used to nighttime temperatures in the low 20's.......for about 10 days running. So when I looked for a rose to paint today it was obvious that it was the last winter rose. Dormancy is upon them.
This painting was done with the Zorn palette in mind for the Daily Paintworks Challenge. I notice no entries yet........it is a very limiting challenge and it is also the holiday season. We are all busy. See the Daily Paintworks Challenge site above to learn about the Zorn palette.
I painted on an old support that was very dark. That was also a  nice change for me.
And I just had fun. 

8 x 8

oil

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to find out more about the Zorn palette Helen, I love this painting, I love the white flower against the white background and the whole thing just works really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A real challenge to use so few colors, but I love the softness of what you created, the grey background against the rose colored roses work magically well together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Harmony - great job of interpreting the challenge so well.

    ReplyDelete