Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Notan, Study



This morning I started out carefully. I had a photo from last week of a tree with wonderful negative spaces that I want to paint this week in class on the mountain.  So I printed the photo and then I played with a pen and sketched dark and light, notan.  It is not perfect, not the  point at all at this stage. I wanted to learn the lines and gestures of the tree. I also need to see if my light and dark pattern is pleasing.





The next step for me was to mix a palette. I was happy with what I mixed except tomorrow on site I need to take it out to include a purple tone. And that red dot on the trunk is a little much so when I paint the larger version, I will watch for that. This study is 6 x 6.
Now I leave it alone and then in the morning look at it with fresh eyes and see what needs to be revised.  Am I ready for the larger version I have planned?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Loved your preparation and study.
    Will look forward to seeing the larger piece.
    By the way your gull in the Challenge was really wonderful...very good.
    Your brushwork is getting more and more to look like Helens Work!

    ReplyDelete