Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Working with the Color Wheel


This week in class we were given voluntary homework.  Sandra took a picture of a barn and we were to paint it using the complementary colors red and green and then to perhaps attempt it using the triad of green, orange and purple. We have been discussing color extensively so it was a good exercise.
Above, I did a quick, quick sketch with my oils that would help define any area I might have trouble with.....or more trouble that usual.  As always, it was in the drawing. I did succeed in defining my lights and darks.




This larger painting, about 8 x 12, is done in red and green. I only used those two colors to make any paint I wished to use. I think the eye moves nicely through the painting.




When I used the triad of orange, green and purple, I moved in on the barn. Some of the orange paint is  way to raw or "in your face" for me. And the foreground is a problem area. But I did lots of orange, some green and a little purple which is one successful way to handle a triad. This vertical work is 8 x 10....and maybe this is a horizontal work, even close up.




Lastly, this little 6 x 6 inch work is a close up of part of the front. I avoided the foreground problem, used red and green again, but differently.




And here is the photo that was sent to the class. For some reason I avoided the left side of the photo and now I see that could be nice balance. Look how many more paintings are still in this picture. Tomorrow class will discuss the process and look at each other's paintings. It will be fun. I vote for the largest painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment