Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Making progress


This is an 11 x 14 canvas......I just wanted to do something with size for a change.  And I got size didn't I? This red barn is at my friend Terry's ranch and posed lots of problem spots for me.  Getting the angles and shapes correct was a challenge.....then on to keeping the landscape way back and lastly the punch so you know where to look. The  critique will be fun... and should involve that bit of roof on the edge of the canvas.




Another interesting shape..........6 x 12.  Number two in this process. I like this fence better and those trees really do look like the "gum" trees of Two Rock. And yet I wanted a looser painting.....I am not sure this is loose enough for where I want to get. On to the critique in art class for this one also.




Hopefully the last revision. It's looking pretty good.




I did this little 6 x 6 study from the roof top of the downtown Petaluma garage. So the challenge was the relationship between the part of the house in the front with the turning basin and boat behind. I also had the opportunity to edit out objects. It was my first painting after returning from vacation....fun to be back in class and learning about looking down.



This little painting started as a 30 minute study and I also took a reference photo. Then after looking at my 30 minute work for about a week, I finished it up with highlights and another layer of color. The little bit of red along the street is very important. Perhaps the river reflection divides the painting in two?  I do love that paintings are all about a little moment of time. Love the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment