Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Trees, maybe.......


You often speak of liking to see how I progress through an assignment or how I develope a piece of work.  This last week, I decided to do a tree. We were at the Visitor's Center in Petaluma and there it was, just sitting in the middle of the lawn. Little did I know!
After a complete failure to two, Sandra, my instructor, and I decided I had completely lost my dark values but that I had learned lots. Good.
Home, scrape, paint and above you see about the 4th attempt on my morning's board.



I had time and so I kept going.....and I got numbers 2 and 3 totally confused, which I was sure I would not do. Still learning.  So the above painting which is a little 6 x 6 and done over an old painting, happened. I did get the large shapes, the gesture....but really just a study.



This is the other painting I did at the same time. It is also a 6 x 6 and is of a neighbor's tree.  I got shade and sun and the major areas defined but it really did not have a dramatic gesture. Maybe I should have made it up. :)



In order to keep learning about these shapes, I painted this from a photo that I rotated on my computer so that it was upside down.  Then one really looks at shapes, not objects. It is on canvas paper and it is not done......but you said you liked the process. It is not always pretty! Tomorrow we are back at the same location and hopefully I will work on trees again......
You will find the Julie Davis Studio blog site in the upper left of this blog.....she is working on trees and I find it very interesting.....




I do not think I posted this yet but I have been fooled before. It is of a great barn that just rose out of nowhere when we were in Bidwell in July. Goose Lake is in the background.  I love it. Dennis just framed it for me and so now it can hang........

No comments:

Post a Comment