Thursday, April 28, 2011

Getting Exciting......


One of my stated goals in this flower challenge I have set up for myself is to bring a little excitement into the game. 
So I am trying to push things a bit. More than see the flowers, I want you to feel the flowers. Perhaps smell the flowers........ The above work was created with a group of colors that I use infrequently.Phthalo blue, Hansa yellow light, and some cad red medium without reaching over to the alizarin at all. I think it worked well.  The painting has some very interesting texture.  It is done in oils and is about 8 x 10. As you can see, I am not in my studio as I write this!


This one I know is 8 x 8 and done in oil on a birch board sized by Dennis for me. They are a great surface on which to work.  I finish it off with acrylic gesso.
These calla lilies were in the garden of my art teacher on Wednesday.  They were partly in shade and partly lit very strongly.  What I like about them is that they are so alive. So right there.



This painting which is a 10 x 12, is modeled after a work I did last year in acrylics.  I used the same vase and similar flowers but a traditional oil palette of colors. It is both fun and enlightening to revisit subjects as no matter how much you think you are the same, you actually have grown or changed. Maybe I should name this one "Reaching"?

No comments:

Post a Comment