Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Moving on............

 As I approach the end of this part of the tricycle study ( oh, yes, there will be more) I look forward to the next subject or subject.s  As spring is peeking around the clouds, the daffodils are blooming and the yard is starting to come to life. There will be lots to paint.

 #13
This is my little flying trike.  It is not really flying but that is what first came to mind as I was painting. It is only 6 x 6, a fun study of the rear view.  The trike was easier to do than the setting.

 #14
How else to view the little trike.........in a still life.  The lilttle vase is a bottle found under 114 Petaluma Blvd No. many years ago. Painting a clear or semi-clear object is a challenge and putting the tricycle painting behind it made for an interesting arrangement.


 #16
When this was critiqued several things were mentioned but the largest issue was the shrub on the upper left of the painting.  I tried to resolve the issue, worked on the pedals and called it a day. Love it.  Done on a 8 x 10 gallery wrapped canvas in oil.  It will be my friend for a time.

 # 17
4 x 12 is a challenging shape with which to play but it came out, didn't it? All the gentle curves work very well.  And this much of a close up let me really explore a central part of the trike and really work with texture.

 # 18
4 x 12 again but on a dark background. Not my favorite but a good experience to have.

#19
Perhaps this should be called half and half! It is 8 x 8 and a unique perspective but I feel like I am getting tired.  So # 20 will wait for a bit. I want it to be fresh.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:47 PM

    Helen; I love #16! But, as you look at the trike in the picture, the right pedal is too dominate-not in perspective. First thing that draws you to the picture is the pedals. If it were shorter would help. The left handle bar could be shorter and brought down to match the angle of the turned wheel. That would complete the trike's place in the picture. The background is perfect and I mean perfect! Good idea to bring in some different colors! Am I trying to get the trike to be too realistic? That might be so! That's why I am not an art critic or an artist!!!I remember an art class I once took..I worked on the "still life" for days and it was a true representation of the display. The teacher came up to me and said " good camera shot, now, I want you to represent the same thing on a new canvas and do it in 15 minutes" Hey, what!!I reluctantly did as I was told because I wanted a good grade in this course. The teacher was right! Art must express the artist's feeling of the item being created,otherwise...... use a camera! This picture does have FEELING! Good work! richard

    ReplyDelete